Friday 24 August 2012

Another Recipe - Sweet Pickled Plums

It has been a while since I posted a secret recipe.  It is plum time again and the tree at this house is so full of fruit that the branches are almost trailing on the ground.  I have picked loads and frozen them, with the stones in, waiting until I have time to make some plum jelly, the best jelly in the world.  I will also make some of this beautiful Victorian recipe.

    File:Plums hanging.jpgSunday
    7th October, 2001
    Sweet Pickled Plums

'I made these in the summer and forgot to write down the recipe. I haven't tried it yet because the 6 months haven't passed. I gave a jar away and now have a large jar left. (Did try it and it was beautiful with ham and very moorish).

It must have been a short ceremonial meeting, maybe just one day, because here I am writing down this recipe on the Sunday. I remember making this quite clearly when I found this recipe in a book with Victorian preserve recipes. I couldn't believe it would work out well, it looks quite weak and odd when first made, but it was smashing at Christmas – they were eaten like spicy plums!'

I love plums, especially Victoria plums eaten warm on a sunny day in the Summer, sometimes with puppies round my feet. Perfectness. I think I have told you this before!

Ingredients:

2 lb stoned plums
2 lb sugar
1 ½ pints distilled vinegar

  1. Put fruit in the saucepan and cover with water, cook until soft and then drain.
  2. Put sugar and vinegar in another pan and heat stirring all the time until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil for 30 minutes.
  3. Add fruit to the vinegar and boil for 15 minutes and then pour into the preheated jars
  4. Cover and seal as usual.
  5. Store for 6 months before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment